Saturday, June 28, 2008

One For All

I have a fairly complicated relationship with food. I typically enjoy cooking, I certainly albeit unfortunately enjoy eating, yet I never enjoy cleaning up after meals, or preparing 6 meals a day, or preparing one meal only to discover that no one wants to eat it. Therefore I am on a constant vigil to find meal options which require simple preparation yet generally please the palatte of our entire household population. That quest for simplification influences even my fast food selections. My drive thru window approach is to buy 1 value meal, Super Size it, request extra drink cups, and divide the spoils among my three girls.  Ordering three separate kid's meals impedes my efficiency and annoys me. Happy Meals are a privilege reserved for when Daddy is at the order counter. 
Yesterday while running errands I realized lunch time was rapidly approaching. Something about Mary jumping up and down in the checkout line at the library yelling, "I'm hungry I'm hungry I'm hungry I'm hungry . . ." must've alerted me.  I considered my options.  Returning home to fix lunch would inevitably exacerbate the problem by prolonging it's resolution, but the prospect of nuggets and fries (again) registered as unsatisfactory to my innate maternal nutrition monitor. I determined that an experiment with a new lunch option was in order. 
We pulled up to Subway. After a censored description of the menu items and a briefing on expected behavior the girls consented to give it a shot. What choice did they have?  I was already out of the car and they were already hungry. I stood in a lunch-rush sized line waiting to order while Madeleine and Beth pouted at a nearby table. Mary lay prostrate in protest on the floor behind me, blocking other customers from proceeding through the line. The moment I saw her on the floor was the precise moment I realized I did not have any hand sanitizer with me. Eventually I ordered one foot long sub on wheat bread with turkey, bacon, cheese, and lettuce, requested cups for water, and added 3 sugar cookies for leverage.  
The girls had the wrapper torn off of the sandwich before I could fill their cups.  They eagerly inspected their 1/3 of the sub while I observed. Madeleine took the cheese off of hers and ate the turkey, bacon, and lettuce. Beth took the lettuce off of hers and ate the turkey, bacon, and cheese. Mary took the lettuce and bread off of hers and ate the bacon and turkey and then rifled through my purse trying to find my lipstick. They all ate the sugar cookies. Everyone was happy.  There you have it! One reasonably nutritious entree, readily modified to satisfy three individual appetites, at a relatively low cost/energy output. Ladies and gentlemen, lunch is served. 

4 comments:

Amy said...

Congratulations! I always forget about Subway. It really is a great option, isn't it? I'm vastly impressed that you went IN to order your food. My girlies beg to go into restaurants to eat and I always refuse when I know they're really hungry. I like for them to be harnessed when they are ravashing.

Lynnie said...

Ok, so Mary's booger comment is my favorite, but this post is my second favorite. Great job, I hope you let out a loud, "MEEEEEEEEE DIDIT!!!!!" Mom took me and the boys to Subway last week. I think you must be on the right track.

Aimee said...

Hey Meredith, welcome to the blogging world! How fun to read about your adventures. Thanks!!

Denise said...

Now, if you can find a Subway with a drive-thru window -- and in Utah -- land of the drive-thrus -- that should not be an issue -- your Mary problem will be solved. Ah, nothing like finding another working solution to the ever present problem of "kid hunger."