Saturday, June 21, 2008

New Found Fascination


In the past year or so Mary has moved through phases of fascination with various objects. Elmo was the first of the fascinations, followed by chewing gum, while the cell phone phase holds the record for both intensity and longevity. However, lipstick is coming up a close second. I don't know how or when Mary discovered lipstick but it has become an integral part of her everyday. In the morning she waits until I'm in the shower and then climbs up on my bathroom counter to inspect my lipstick collection. She will claim, "I'm just holding it" while she simultaneously smears it from ear to ear. At one point she systematically located and demolished every tube that I owned. I had to call a Mary Kay consultant to ask for some disposable free samples which I used in lieu of full size tubes in order to prevent further lipstick annihilation. Now that Mary has learned to regulate her lipstick application with some degree of self-control, she can infiltrate my supply without mass destruction.  I've replenished my stock and she regularly reviews the inventory. Gloss, matte, frost or pencil - she is no respecter of sheen or color. If it resembles lipstick in any way she will wear it, hold it, sleep with it, and has been known to eat it on occasion. In Mary's 3 year old world if there is any problem to be solved, any woe to be comforted, any need to be met, lipstick is the answer.

No comments: