Saturday, June 21, 2008

Champions Challenge



On Thursday I was able to go down to Thanksgiving Point and watch Luke participate in the annual Champions Challenge. It's a local golf tournament and charitable benefit featuring past and current pro's, hosted by Utah's Golfing Great, Johnny Miller. It was a gorgeous day, Luke was at the top of his game, and I had a great time buzzing around in the golf cart with my sister-in-law, Amy Spangler. 
Luke played the first nine holes in a group including Annika Sorenstam, the greatest women's golfer there's ever been in history, and the second nine with Jack Nicklaus, the ultimate golf legend. 
He had this to say of his day with the pro's:
"It was great playing with Annika because she was so personable and in her prime. There was a large gallery that followed her everywhere so being with her made it feel like you were one of stars. Also, I was playing well so it was pretty cool." 
"Jack is the ultimate legend in golf so I was awestruck being with him. One funny story;
We had a chip about 60 feet out and one of the amateurs hit the perfect shot where the ball stopped three inches to the side of the hole. Jack said, "Well, my goal then is to hit my ball between your ball and the hole.' So he got up and stroked the ball and it rolled exactly between the amateur's ball and the hole. Jack's reaction was to say, ' I guess that shows you've got to be careful about the goals you set, because you may end up acheiving it but having set the wrong goal'." 
I have to add that I saw several of Luke's swings and there was more than once when he hit the best shot of the group. Since they were playing, "best ball" the rest of the group then played off of his shot. I couldn't resist teasing, "So now you can tell people that Jack Nicklaus plays off of your ball."  Overall it was a great day which Luke describes as "awesome."

No comments: