Saturday, July 19, 2008

A First Time For Everything

It is evident everyday that our girls our growing up. Here's how I can tell the babies are all big girls now:

- Earlier this month I took my children on an outing and I didn't bring a stroller.

- Earlier this week I took my children on an outing and I didn't bring a diaper!

- One afternoon Luke and I put Mary down for a nap, took our cell phones, and left Madeleine and Beth alone while we visited with a neighbor. (I found leaving my kids alone to be a strangely liberating yet disconcerting experience!)

- Madeleine came downstairs on a Sunday, got the "church bag" out of the closet, and loaded it up with snacks and color books. When I asked her what made her think of doing that she said, "well, I was all ready so I just thought, 'what else needs to be done so that we're ready to go?' "

- When I take the girls to the pool I can sit in chair and watch them swim without needing to get in with them.

Sometimes I'm sad to see them changing so fast, but I can't deny that it is easier to have them be a little more independent. Besides, I know as well as anyone that sometimes even big girls still want their mommy!

No comments: