Friday, June 5, 2009

Congratulations!

Tonight I am thinking about the many different and wonderful women that I'm privileged to know and for many reasons altogether but for no reason in particular, I feel like celebrating. Celebrating you, and congratulating you for victories great and small. Those of you who have watched your children graduate, from pre-school up through high school, and those who have progressed in school themselves. Those of you who have spent hours cheering at baseball games and sporting events, and have hours yet to go before the season ends. There are those who have launched their own businesses, and others who have made things work in an economy that works against them. Mothers who have celebrated birthdays and gotcha' days for babies they yearned to have in their families, and mothers who are watching their babies marry and start families of their own. Some have coached their children through their battles and others have had their own battles to fight. Some have received miracles as answers to prayer, and others have found faith when they didn't receive the miracles they prayed for.  
As the pressures of the school year fade away and summer days of family time and freedom stretch ahead I know I'm feeling a bit lighter, as though I've crossed a finish line and can enjoy a minute to catch my breath. Perhaps that's what brought on this congratulatory mood, but whatever the reason, I mean it. Good job! 
I've heard it said that the essence of womanhood is guilt. Be that as it may, don't feel guilty by taking some credit here. Just for a minute, consider the numerous seemingly insignificant tasks you accomplish each day and marvel with me at the mountains that you've climbed by waking up each day and putting two feet on the floor. Even with all it's 15 letters "congratulations" isn't a big enough word to sum up the extent of what you do, but what word is? At this point I am oddly reminded of author Kate Dicamillo's little mouse Desperaux and his enchantment with the Princess Pea. In a fleeting moment as he grasps at the chance to express the abundance of admiration filling his heart he whispers, "I honor you." Maybe it's not one long word, but those three simple words I need right now. As I think of all of you my outlook is buoyed up. I am blessed by your examples. I am encouraged by your kindness. I am strengthened by your friendship. I honor you and the efforts you make daily to lead, love, and progress. In my mind THAT is the essence of womanhood and I rejoice to know women who live it, so here's to you ladies. Congratulations on a job well done. 

8 comments:

Jenny said...

Meredith,

You have a way of making everyone around you better. What a thoughtful and inspiring post. I "back at you" everything you so eloquently said. You are amazing!

Sarah said...

Well said, I feel so uplifted. I congratulate you on all you do as well!!

wylie said...

How wonderful to read a post so full of positive congratulations, thank you, thank you! I love you dearly my friend, encourager and fellow mother, Meredith!

Catherine said...

Hear, hear! I may not be a woman yet but, I am so grateful to all the woman who have helped me throughout my life. :)

Mindi said...

Amen. What a prayer. I must get to know you better Ms. Meredith. Will you allow me the pleasure? Let's walk or do lunch or let the kids run wild at the park. You pick.

Kimberly said...

Well said, my friend, well said.

Aimee said...

How nice of you! I've been meaning to tell you that I read "The Tale of Despereux" and thought it was so darling that I'm reading it to my kids. Better late than never, right?

Julie Toone said...

Well now Im just waiting for your book that you write! You are one of the best writers I know. And I too am blessed to know you! You're amazing!