Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mother's Day


Mother's Day this year was absolutely blissful. It started on Saturday when Luke took the girls out for the whole day and gave me the gift of some time to myself. That evening he took me to a nice dinner, and topped it off by buying me a new dress. I teased him that I was going to sleep until 11 the next day, but I was genuinely surprised when I woke up to see the clock read 10:30! He had been keeping the girls at bay the whole morning while they were chomping on the bit to give me my presents. Madeleine set up camp outside my bedroom door and waited so she could sound the alert when I woke up. I have no idea how long she was sitting out there! When I came down they presented me with handmade gifts from school, homemade cards, a new table cloth, a new spice rack, a salad spinner, a new salad bowl with matching tongs, and new pot holders. I loved it! Luke took them to Bed, Bath, and Beyond and asked them all to find things that they thought I needed, and they were exactly right.

I gave my mom a call before church, and after church we went to Liz's house, where the dads put on a dinner for all the moms. I had a bonus gift this year of having Ellie stay with us while her mom and dad were out of town. Having 4 children at the dinner table was just the right balance in my mind, and she and Mary were peas in a pod all weekend.

Motherhood is hard. It tries the patience, stretches the soul, pangs the heart, and expands the mind of each woman who embarks on the journey of raising children. But there is nothing I would trade for it and today was a perfect day to soak in the happiness that comes from little hands, shining eyes, and lots of kisses. What a blessing, what a joy, what an experience it is to be a Mother.

No comments: