Sunday, December 8, 2013

Shoe Day

The Army took my family to Germany twice; once before I was born and again when I was in High School. In Germany Christmas is a really big deal and it is beautiful! Christmas markets, Christmas decorations, Christmas foods... Because of the opportunity we had to live there, I grew up celebrating some German traditions at Christmas time, even though we have no German heritage, and I've passed them on to my kids.

One of our favorite traditions is "Shoe Day,"other wise known as St. Nicholas Day. Every year on the night of December 5 we leave our shoes in front of the door and when we wake up they are filled with treats and small gifts.

This year instead of filling our shoes, St. Nicholas opted to swap them for some cozy slippers and filled them with candy and cocoa mix.  It was perfect timing since it has been snowy with freezing temperatures lately, but thanks to St. Nicholas our feet have been warm and snug in our slippers while we sip cocoa by the fire.


Another element of German Christmas that I love is our wooden German pyramid. Some people say these wooden pyramids are the predecessor to the Christmas tree. It has a few different levels and on each level stand little figurines that depict the nativity. It spins, powered by the heat of several candles. Tonight we set it up and sang Christmas carols as we watched it go around and, as my daughter said, "it was quite a lovely evening."


I love the different traditions that bring us closer as a family while we celebrate Christ's birth. What are some of the traditions that your family shares, and where do they come from? All the many different traditions from many different places  can remind us of the same truth; that Christ is the Savior of us all. Spending time together and showing love for each other helps us feel His love and brings His spirit into our hearts and homes. What a wonderful reason to celebrate!

Frohe Weihnachten!


2 comments:

Lincoln Farrell and Marilyn Barlow said...

Traditions are the strong links between generations. Your children will never forget these experiences and will share them with their children and on and on it goes.

Terry said...

Love it! I lived in Germany during Christmas too and also have a pyramid on my dining room table. I never did the shoe thing though...now I'm wishing I had! What a fun tradition!