Thursday, October 16, 2008

Complaint for the Day

I seem to be a magnet for phone solicitors, no matter what I do. We registered for the National Do Not Call list,  I ask everyone who calls to take us off their list, I do not give my phone number out to anyone except people I actually want to talk to, and still my phone is plagued on a daily basis with aggravating interruptions from people who incorrectly pronounce our last name and try to manipulate me into buying things I don't want. It is 11:30 a.m. and there have been three already this morning. One insulted me for not agreeing to buy anything from their supposedly charitable organization (incidentally, I bought something from them before and I'm pretty sure their organization is a fraud, hence the refusal), the second tried to scam me into using their long-distance service, and the third I didn't answer.
I try to be nice, I really do. I used to work at a call center and I know they are just starving college students trying to earn some money, but honestly! If you're going to get me out of the shower and then ask for my husband by the wrong name, and tell me I already want what you have and you just need to verify my address, don't be surprised if I hang up on you with no further explanation than a curt, "No thank you."  If I wanted to change my phone service, my cable service, my mortgage company, or get a warrantee for my car I would initiate that process myself and do it at some time other than in the middle of eating dinner. And why is my phone number, my phone bill, and how many long distance calls I make per month anyone else's business in the first place?
While I'm at it, let me also note I spent almost an hour at the bank yesterday opening a fraud investigation on some unauthorized charges to our debit card. I'm sure everyone else was previously aware of this, but I only learned yesterday that allowing companies to take a monthly draw through your debit card is a bad idea. If you set up that arrangement for paying your bill, and then you cancel your service or subscription, they still have your card info and can make withdrawals without the bank flagging it as unusual activity. Fortunately for me, the bank believed my claim without asking for any documentation (and without chastising me for not noticing the charges sooner, which would've been deserved) and they are recovering the money. 
Moral of the story: keep your credit information to yourself as much as possible, and don't bother making a mad dash to answer the phone; it's just a telemarketer. 

I feel better now. Thanks for listening. 

No comments: