Sunday, February 15, 2009

Light and Dark




We are encouraged by our church leaders to make an effort to strengthen our families by setting aside one night a week to stay home together and have a little gospel lesson, followed by a fun activity. Referred to as "Family Home Evening," or "Family Night," I enjoyed this tradition growing up and it's something that we try to make a priority of with our girls.
Last week a friend of mine recommended a great idea for Family Home Evening, and she was kind enough to let me copy it. Luke read us the verse in John where Jesus is described as the "light of the world,"(John 8:12). With the help of an object lesson, we talked about how having a light on helps us see what we are doing, so it's easier to accomplish what we want to do. Then we talked about how Jesus is like a light because His example helps us to see what we need to do so we can live with Him again. The girls participated well and paid good attention - something of a rarity! 
To go along with the light theme, our activity was to turn out the lights and dance around with glow sticks, while I took pictures with a slow shutter speed. I got a real kick out of watching the girls prancing around while we made "dark and light art." It was a fun night, made better because it started with the help of a friend. Thanks Wylie!
                                                                                 

                                      A light -saber battle between Madeleine and Beth



Writing their names (M B M)



 




5 comments:

brees said...

What a neat idea, I saw that on Wylies blog, I need to try that. We have been a lot better about family night, it makes such a difference, and the kids love it!

I know I told you that I have been reading your blog. Is it okay if I add you to my list? Brooke R

wylie said...

I'm so glad it went well! I have always loved the ideas you've had about teaching your kids. I still remember the one you did a few years ago where you had the girl's lie down and traced an outline of each of them, then cut it out and made modest clothes for their outlines. What a visual and tactile experience. You are a very gifted mother and dedicated to what you do every day. I admire you greatly and enjoy you immensely!!

Aimee said...

I bet your girls loved it! What fun parents you are!!

Anonymous said...

I love the lesson. It made me say to myself, "oh I want to do the sabers with the girls!" I'm such a child. I read every quote. I laughed so hard and it makes me miss them. I hope we can figure out a night with ya'll. Please tell Beth and Mary, I love their new haircuts and Madeleine, hers is always beautiful too! I can't wait to be able to see you guys for a whole week on the cruise. It's close enough now to do a count down!

Smarties said...

Loved all the updates, Meredith. So glad you guys had a great trip. Sounds like heaven to me. :) Also LOVED the description of the girls' haircuts adventure - esp Mary's worry about the bear cave. That kid cracks me up!! :) The new 'dos are very cute!