Monday, November 24, 2008

My Tips For Shopping At Costco

The holiday season is upon us and that means lots of shopping. I've done most of my Christmas shopping already and in so doing have frequented Costco more than usual. In the process, I learned the following lessons the hard way:

There is no such thing as going to Costco "for just a few things." No matter how carefully you plan your list, inevitably you will find a few more things that you need and few things that you don't. 

If you think limiting your shopping time by going to Costco right before you have to pick your kids up from school will likewise limit your spending, you are wrong - and you will be late picking up your kids.

When loading your purchases into the back of your car, it is helpful if you don't have a bucket of old raspberry canes and a plastic bin full of Halloween costumes in there already.

Be careful about shopping there when you are hungry. Buying something that looks good at the moment means you will be eating it for the next two weeks. 

FYI some of my favorite things to get at Costco are paper products in bulk, discounted books, the Ottavio's tomato basil soup, the Del Monte bottled peaches, and the Posada Chimichangas. What are yours?

To all you Costco shoppers out there, happy shopping!

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I love the tortillas that you cook yourself, the manicotti, the Kirkland tortilla chips, the organic baby spinach, and their ice cream is to die for!

wylie said...

I feel like such an outsider! I have a Sam's Club membership. The tomato basil soup sounds fabulous Meredith (do you know if it has MSG?)

Jenny said...

I do Sam's also but it is so hard to go in there and buy one thing! The grocery Guru calls it the $200 store because you can rarely get out for less than that. Sam's has the cook yourself tortillas also and I buy bulk beef jerkey. The boys love it. My new rule is go once a month and browse as long as you want. Buy what you need but don't blow the whole grocery budget for the month in one shot. Then, go back once and re-stock up on milk, eggs and romaine lettuce. It is all so much cheaper but I have to close my eyes on the way to get those 3 things because that is all I can get the second time!